Saturday, March 23, 2013

Drake and Aaliyah























I'm a fan of Drake. Arguably, after Action Bronson, he's my favourite rapper at the moment. His background - middle class, not 'street', mama's basement living life - is somewhat contrary to what is expected from a rapper. However, that said, I recently discovered Biggie Smalls, went to private school and didn't live in a 'one room shack' as the lyrics in 'Juicy' suggest. Anyway, the point is Drake's alright and I'm a fan.

He's a famous rapper, a far cry from his humble beginnings on Canada's version of Grange Hill, Degrassi.  Drake's teenage crush, has slowly come to the surface; Aaliyah - enough said, I think (excuse the pun)

She has featured on a number of Drake tracks,
  • sampled 'At you're best (you are love)' by Aaliyah on 'Unforgettable'
  • 'We'll be fine' - "Since I saw Aaliyah's precious life go too soon, she deserve the credit for
    How I'm about to get it"
  • 'Enough Said' - Aaliyah ft Drake.
and...get this, he even has a tattoo of the late singer sketched onto his back, and her birthday January 16th! #serious.

Now, we all know that Drake never met Aaliyah so this is purely a crush/obsession? We also know Aaliyah was close with DMX, who - coincidently - has beef with Drake. *queue sub heading*

Drake DMX Beef

I'll let DMX talk.



The issue revolves around Drake's plan to release a posthumous Aaliyah album without featuring Missy Elliot and Timberland - people Aaliyah actually chose to work with.

Not sure when this album is due, but so far I'm liking what I've heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment